If you’re looking for a recipe that is super-nutritious and uses ingredients from your regular fruit and veg shop, our Roasted Chickpea And Avocado Salad is ideal.
Chickpeas provide plenty of protein and fibre, as well as an impressive selection of vitamins and minerals.
They’re particularly high in vitamin B9, or folic acid, best-known as a supplement taken by pregnant women to help prevent developmental defects in their growing babies.
It plays a wide range of other roles too, from bolstering the levels of haemoglobin in your blood to helping the body grow healthy muscle tissue.
And there are generous amounts of the mineral manganese, which helps transform the food you eat into energy.
Combine the health benefits of chickpeas with those of avocado – an excellent source of vitamins and antioxidants – and you have one powerful salad!
The nutty flavour of the chickpeas is brought to life by the addition of the spices paprika and cinnamon, while the dressing is packed with flavours too. You’ll find fresh tangy lemon juice and citrusy herbs, sweet honey, and a dollop of Dijon mustard that adds an extra dimension to this salad.
This dish is something of a hybrid between Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisine, capturing both regions’ fresh and flavoursome ingredients.
It makes the perfect summertime lunch – just add some fresh crusty bread to complete the meal. It’s also great as a salad accompaniment to a meat, fish or plant-based main dish, or as a side dish for your next barbie.
Choose the freshest ingredients you can get and you’ll be rewarded with a healthy and tasty dish that’s most definitely a crowdpleaser!
Simple and delicious salad made with roasted chickpeas, avocados, loads of veggies, and tossed in with a homemade honey garlic Greek yogurt dressing.
For the chickpeas:
- 15 oz Chickpeas (one can)
- 1 tbsp Olive oil (extra-virgin, divided)
- ¼ tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- ½ tsp Salt
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp Honey
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Olive oil (extra-virgin)
- 2 tbsp Fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Chives (chopped)
- 1 tbsp Parsley (chopped)
- 1 Garlic cloves (pressed)
- Salt and ground pepper (to taste)
For the salad:
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Pat them dry with paper towels and remove any loose skins.
- Add them to a baking dish and drizzle with olive oil; Toss with the seasonings then bake for 30 minutes.
- Once the chickpeas are baked, let them cool at room temperature for 15 minutes to become crispy.
- For the dressing, add all the ingredients to a small jar and mix well to combine.
- In a large salad bowl, toss the veggies, cheese, roasted chickpeas together with the dressing.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and enjoy!
- Do not use over-ripened avocados. You need them to be ripe but firm.
- Any lettuce of choice or greens will work. We used Romaine lettuce
- Yogurt: we used Greek yogurt but plain yogurt will work, or any plant-based yogurt you prefer.
- Use only fresh veggies to make a salad. We recommend you do use fresh garlic cloves instead of garlic powder.
- Fresh lemon juice will taste much better than bottles of lemon juice. But if you are in a pinch and only have bottles of lemon juice you may use that instead.
- We used canned chickpeas but you may use dried and just cook them ahead.
Get your chickpeas, avocados and more in your fruit and veg delivery
Source the ingredients you need for this nutritious salad in a fruit and veg delivery from Local Food Market Co.
It’s the ideal way to find everything you want across a wide selection of local food retailers in a single place.
Simply load up your cart with all your chosen items, check out and await delivery straight to your door.
We pride ourselves on hosting local retailers who offer the freshest, best quality food and making it accessible to anyone living in the Melbourne area.
Know more about shopping the fresh and convenient way by contacting our friendly team. who’ll tell you everything you need to know about getting your favourite groceries delivered to your home.