The stand-out feature of this delicious vegan meal is its high protein content, something that can be hard to find in a vegan diet.
If you don’t eat animal products, then it can be challenging to get the complete proteins containing all nine of the essential amino acids your body needs to stay healthy.
You can find complete proteins in meat, fish and dairy products. But vegans will need to be a little more inventive to get the nutrition they need.
This recipe ticks all the boxes with ingredients you can find in your regular fruit and veg shop that offer all the essential amino acids required to nourish your body.
Chickpeas are renowned for their high protein content. In fact, they are made up of about 18% protein. So the chickpea or besan flour used here is an excellent source of protein and amino acids.
The almond milk is high in protein too, and just a small amount of nutritional yeast, like that used in this recipe, will also yield a generous serving of protein to boost your levels.
Combined, all these excellent sources of protein will provide all the amino acids you need for a balanced diet.
And let’s not forget the added vitamins and minerals from the kale, zucchini and asparagus, all rich in vitamins A for cell health and C for your immune system. Each vegetable also contains its own combination of other vital vitamins and minerals.
The avocado brings a satisfying creaminess while you’ll also love the bouquet of flavour thanks to the lemon juice, garlic and onion.
In fact, every ingredient in this recipe is supercharged to give you a nutritional boost with heaps of flavour too!
This meal is so full of flavour that you don’t feel as if you are missing anything. Vegans will love this protein combining, this meal is full of vegetables and contains all the essential amino acid you need. Without ‘complete’ proteins like eggs, meat, or fish, it can be difficult to get these amino acids. It also includes chopped almonds. This is also super delicious!
- 1/2 cup Chickpea (besan) flour
- 1/2 cup Almond milk
- teaspoon Nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Onion (Diced)
- 1 Garlic clove (Finely chopped)
- 2 cups Finely chopped kale (Stalks removed)
- 1 Zucchini (Grated)
- 100 gms Asparagus (about 1/2 bunch) (Trimmed and chopped)
- 3 tablespoons Almonds (Chopped Roughly)
- 1/2 Juice of lemon
- 1 Avocado (sliced into silvers)
- 4 Bread Slices
- Salt and pepper
- To serve • 4 slices of Paleo Bread (see page 70) • 1 avocado, sliced into silvers
- Place the chickpea flour and almond milk in a bowl and mix together to make a chunky batter. Stir through the yeast and turmeric and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat, add the onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes, or until the onion starts to go a bit translucent.
- Add the kale. zucchini and asparagus and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, then pour in the chickpea batter and season to taste.
- Cook for a further 5 minutes. stirring until the mix starts to set a little and look like scrambled eggs.
- Place a couple of slices of paleo bread on each plate, top with a few slivers of avo and divide the scramble between both plates.
- Sprinkle over the almonds. add a big squeeze of lemon and serve.
Find protein-packed ingredients by grocery shopping online
You can get the protein-packed ingredients you need for this supercharged vegan recipe at Local Food Market Co. We’re your local online green grocer, offering you a vast range of products under a single virtual roof.
Browse through the products offered by your favourite local retailers, just as you would enjoy walking through a real marketplace. Fill your cart with items from as many different shops as you like and breeze through the easy checkout process.
Then all you have to do is sit back and wait for your quality grocery products to be delivered direct to your door!
Want to know more? Contact us to find out how simple it is to have your fresh, local groceries delivered straight to your home in the Melbourne area.