Asparagus adds a distinctive flavour to any recipe and also works well on its own as an accompaniment to main dishes.
Use it in this tasty pasta recipe, packed full of vegetables. For the tomato sauce that complements this dish, you can take your pick of any in-season vegetables from your fruit and veg delivery.
Asparagus, the star of this recipe, offers vitamins, minerals and antioxidants as well as fibre to help your digestive system run smoothly.
It’s particularly noted for its high vitamin K content. This vitamin plays an essential role in blood clotting and contributes to the strength and health of your bones.
Our recipe is one of the easiest ways to ensure you get your five portions of fruit and vegetables a day…so get cooking!
For the pasta dish:
This tasty pasta dish is quick to prepare and makes an ideal midweek meal when you’re pushed for time but want something nutritious to eat.
- Cook the penne in a pan of boiling water with salt added according to the instructions on the packet.
- Trim the ends of the asparagus and cut into 2-cm portions, then fry for 2 minutes in a large non-stick pan with the olive oil.
- Add the peas and tomato sauce and simmer while you wait for the pasta to cook.
- Drain the pasta, setting one cupful of the cooking water aside, then add it to the sauce with some of the reserved cooking water if necessary. Ensure that the pasta is well coated with the sauce.
- Serve the pasta garnished with the mint leaves and Parmesan cheese.
For the tomato sauce:
Making your own tomato sauce is super easy, and you can prepare it in batches to freeze so you always have a nutritious cooking ingredient to hand. You don’t have to follow our suggestions for the vegetables; just make sure you include the two cans of tomatoes and any vegetables you like. You can also vary the quantity of garlic according to your taste.
- Wash, peel and chop the vegetables.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil on medium heat in a large pan. Fry the garlic and herbs for 1 minute, then add the prepared vegetables.
- Cook with the lid on for 25 minutes or until the veggies are soft, stirring every now and again.
- Add the canned tomatoes, breaking them up, and simmer for another 25 minutes. Leave to cool, then blitz the sauce in a food processor until smooth.
Find everything you need in your grocery delivery in Melbourne
Find all the ingredients you need for our pasta recipe in your online groceries delivery by Local Food Market Co. It’s the online marketplace where you can do your fruit and veg shop and stock up on store cupboard essentials too!
As well as sourcing all the veggies you need, you can also get fruit box delivery in the Melbourne area. So if you’ve been wondering where to find a fruit shop near me, you can stop searching! We offer fruit delivery in the Melbourne area, as well as veggies, meat, seafood, ready meals and flowers brought directly to your door.
Want to know more? Reach out to our friendly team and we’ll tell you everything you need to know.