If you’re fond of red meat but concerned about the bad press it’s had, think again.
Critics say that some studies have linked the consumption of processed red meat to cancer and heart disease.
There is also concern that intensively farmed meat leads to deforestation and a big carbon footprint.
But if you carefully choose the type of red meat you eat, you can minimise negative effects on your health and the environment. In fact, you may be pleasantly surprised to learn that you can also enjoy the many health benefits that good quality meat offers.
To do this, choose unprocessed meat, preferably from animals that are reared free-range and grass-fed.
Opt for trimmed cuts with most of the fat removed.
You can also limit your intake to once or twice a week or less frequently.
Let’s hear more about the health benefits of quality cuts of red meat, like the rump or topside steak used in our recipe.
Red meat provides high levels of protein, essential for the growth and repair of tissue in the human body.
It’s also packed with B vitamins. Each plays its own unique role in keeping you healthy. These roles range from helping your metabolism to helping red blood cells to form.
Additionally, free-range beef contains good levels of some key minerals. There’s zinc, which performs many important functions, including boosting the immune system and helping wounds to heal. And there’s iron too, which helps make the red blood cells that transport oxygen around the body.
We’ve paired the beef in this recipe with Asian chilli paste for a fiery kick and the citrus flavours of Kaffir lime leaves, coriander and lime juice. The pumpkin seeds, lettuce and mint add their own finishing touches to this dish, which can be enjoyed as a satisfying lunch or in smaller portions as a starter.
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 750 gms Rump or topside steak (Trimmed)
- 2-3 tablespoons Asian chilli paste
- 6 Kaffir lime leaves (Shredded)
- ½ Cup Pumpkin seeds (chopped – Traditionally peanuts would be used, but have substitute these out)
- 1 Baby cos lettuce (Leaves separated)
- 1/2 cup Coriander (fresh)
- 1/4 cup Mint (fresh)
- 2 tablespoons Lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Caster sugar
- Heat the Oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the steak and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until the beef is well browned and cooked to your liking. Remove and cool. Shred into long, thin strips.
- Place a frying pan over medium heat and add the chilli paste and lime leaves and cock for 1 minute. Add the beef strips and toss to coat.
- For the salad, combine the lettuce, coriander. mint leaves. lime juice and sugar.
- Place the salad on plates and top with the beef and serve sprinkled with the pumpkin seeds.
Where can I find quality online groceries?
Has our recipe inspired you? Maybe you are looking for a convenient way to source all the ingredients in one place from the comfort of your home.
Look at what Local Food Market Co has to offer. Our Melbourne based grocery delivery platform brings together all your favourite quality food retailers under one roof. It’s just like browsing your local market but online!
Add the items you need to your cart, check out and wait for speedy delivery straight to your door. It’s the simplest way to shop, even when you’re buying a range of ingredients.
Any questions? Reach out to our friendly team who’ll tell you everything you need to know about shopping for your groceries the simple way.