Our recipe for rice burritos and guacamole will capture everything you love about Mexican cuisine — spicy, satisfying food served with a fresh and healthy accompaniment.
You can follow this recipe for a tasty lunch, or serve it with spicy potato wedges and salad for a filling dinner. It’s finger food that both young and old will love.
One of the best things about our burritos is the variety of flavours they contain. Enjoy the subtle spiciness of the cumin, coriander and mustard, the heat of jalapeños and the freshness of the guacamole.
What’s also great about this dish is that the rice, beans and tortillas contain plenty of carbohydrates to provide energy for growing bodies. This makes our burritos an ideal dish for children, especially on busy days when they need all the fuel they can get.
And everyone will benefit from the high vitamin and mineral content in the recipe’s vegetables.
You’ll find everything you need to throw this simple but satisfying dish together in your regular fruit and veg shop…so start scribbling that shopping list!
This colourful dish is easy to make and fun too, so why not get the youngest members of your family to pitch in?
- 40 g Butters (chopped into pieces)
- 1 Onion (brown) (finely chopped)
- 1 Capsicum (red) (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Cumin (ground)
- 1 tablespoon Coriander (powder)
- 1 tablespoon Mustard powder
- 300 g Rice
- 500 ml Vegetable stocks
- 400 g Corn kernels (Can)s (drained and rinsed)
- 400 g Black beans (Can)s (drained and rinsed)
- 150 g Cheddar cheeses
- 2 tablespoons jalapeños (pickled)s (sliced)
- 6 Tortillas (Large)
- 1 Avocado (Large, peeled and destoned)
- 200 g Sour creams
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- Melt the butter in a large pan over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook until they soften, stirring continuously (around 5 minutes). Add the capsicum and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring as you go. Mix in the ground cumin, coriander and mustard powder for around 30 seconds until their fragrance is released.
- Stir in the rice then the vegetable stock. Turn up the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat, cover and cook for 30 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is cooked through. Turn off the heat and leave the lid on for 5 minutes, then use a fork to fluff up the rice.
- Add the corn, black beans, cheese and jalapeño to the rice and stir well to combine. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Plate up each tortilla and fill with equal quantities of the rice mixture. Fold the bottom edge, then the sides to enclose the filling.
- Pulp the avocado with a fork and add in the sour cream and lemon juice. Add the fresh chopped coriander and season as desired.
- Halve the tortillas and serve with the freshly made guacamole.
Get Mexican ingredients from your grocery delivery in Melbourne
Your online groceries shop will provide everything you need for this exciting Mexican dish. Head over to the Local Food Market Co site to source all the fresh ingredients you need.
It’s your local online platform where you can order groceries from your favourite shops in a single place, making veg and fruit delivery in Melbourne simple.
As well as vegetables, meat, freshly baked bread and pantry essentials, you can also order your fruit box delivery in Melbourne. So if you’ve ever looked for a fruit shop near me that offers the freshest fruit and veg delivery, look no further!
Any questions about supporting your local community by shopping with Local Food Market Co? Reach out to us to know more.