This is a fantastic go-to dish for summer cooking, capturing some gorgeous flavours that conjure up the warmth of the season.
It’s also a really good way to start experimenting with North African cuisine, which often includes couscous as a staple ingredient. Couscous is a pasta in fine granule form made from semolina, which is derived from durum wheat.
It forms the basis of many North African dishes like vegetable or meat stew and has become popular the world over for its simplicity and versatility.
Because of its proximity to the Mediterranean area, you’ll find that North African cooking often feels like a fusion of the two. That’s where the olives, lemon, parsley and capers come in, lending a freshness to this tasty dish.
As well as its delicious taste, the ease of cooking this dish is going to make it one of your favourites. There is very little cooking involved and you can simply let it get on and bake itself once you’ve fried the chicken breasts for a couple of minutes to get them going.
We should also mention the chicken here. As well as being an item you can source easily in your online groceries order, it’s lean, full of protein and a popular choice for all the family. It’s also particularly rich in B vitamins to keep you energetic and healthy, and a whole array of minerals including selenium, which keeps your immune system working properly. And it’s good for thyroid health.
If you can, source your chicken from a sustainable butcher to ensure that it’s local and raised to high welfare standards. This will mean that it’s better for the environment and better for the family’s health and wellbeing too.
You can serve this dish for a summer lunch with friends or as a midweek meal for the family when you don’t have a lot of time to spare. It’s so tasty that it’s guaranteed to disappear almost as soon as you serve it up…so don’t be the last person at the table!
- 2 Chicken breast fillets
- 2 cups Couscous
- 2.5 cups Chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- Cracked black pepper and sea salt
- 1 tablespoon Grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup Flat-leaf parsley (Chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Salted capers (Rinsed and chopped)
- 1.5 cup Black olives (( or kalamata olives))
- Preheat the oven to 200(degree)C (400(degree)F). Heat a little oil in a frying pan and cook the chicken for 2 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Place the couscous in the base of a medium-sized baking dish. Pour over the stock, oil, pepper and salt. Place the chicken on top of the couscous. Combine the lemon zest, parsley and capers and sprinkle over the chicken. Add the olives and cover the dish with a lid or aluminium foil. Bake for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- To serve, fluff the couscous with a fork and spoon onto serving plates. Top with the chicken. Serve with lemon wedges and rocket leaves.
Find fresh, sustainable produce in your grocery delivery in Melbourne
Local Food Market Co makes it easy to get fresh, sustainable produce in the convenience of online food shopping.
Shop now with our grocery market store and find a world of quality ingredients for this recipe and more from different retailers under a single roof. It’s just like visiting your neighbourhood food market…but online!
It’s the easy way to find those special items you need to follow new recipes or simply to stock up on all your pantry essentials. So take the hassle out of your food shopping and start shopping online straight away.
Leave a Reply