If you’re looking for an easy and flavoursome meal, our creamy coconut beef and pumpkin recipe is your perfect match.
Each of the two main ingredients of this recipe brings its own unique flavour and health benefits too.
Beef is an excellent source of high-quality protein and amino acids essential for many different important functions in the human body, including cell growth. It also has high levels of vitamin B12, which is needed for the formation of red blood cells, zinc for a healthy immune system and metabolism, and iron, which plays an important role in the transport of oxygen around the body.
Pumpkin is considered one of nature’s superfoods because of its high levels of different types of vitamins, including vitamins B6, C and E, and minerals such as potassium, phosphorus and copper, as well as its high fibre content, which is great for your digestive system.
Add in the coconut cream and other ingredients and you have a velvety smooth curry that’s not too spicy, making it suitable for all the family.
Our recipe makes the most of these benefits, drawing out the flavours in a slow cooker. This makes the beef exquisitely tender and really allows the tastes to intensify for a delicious family meal.
This slow-cooked dish is brimming with flavour and goodness. Super easy to cook, it’s also a fantastic way to get your vitamins and minerals!
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon Ginger (Fresh) (finely chopped)
- Rogan josh curry paste
- 1.5 kg Beef chuck steaks (cut into pieces of around 4 cm)
- 400 g Canned tomato (diced)s
- 250 ml Vegetable stocks (liquid)
- 1 sprig Curry leaves (fresh) (extra for garnish)
- 600 g Pumpkins (peeled and deseeded, cut into pieces of around 3 cm)
- 1 tablespoon Cornflour
- 270 ml Coconut cream (can)s
- Jasmine rice (steamed rice to serve)
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add the ginger and curry paste and cook, stirring continuously for around 1 minute. Then add the beef and cook, stirring continuously for 5 minutes or until well coated.
- Put the beef and paste mixture into the bowl of your slow cooker. Add the tomatoes and vegetable stock and give the mix a good stir and then add the curry leaves. Cover and cook on the high setting for 5 hours or until the beef is tender. Add the pumpkin, then cover and cook for another hour or until the pumpkin is cooked through.
- Put the cornflour and 80 ml of the coconut cream in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Add to the slow cooker and cook with the lid off for around 10 minutes or until the mixture has thickened.
- Serve the curry on plates and drizzle with coconut cream. You can serve this mouthwatering dish with plain steamed rice and a sprinkling of curry leaves for garnish.
Get the ingredients you need in your fruit and veg delivery
You can get the ingredients you need for our tasty beef and pumpkin recipe delivered straight to your door when you get your grocery delivery in Melbourne from the fruit and veg shop Local Food Market Co.
Our online grocery platform lets you shop for vegetables, meat and more from the comfort of your own home.
And if you’re wondering where to find a fruit shop near me, we also offer fruit delivery in the Melbourne area.
Contact us to know more about grocery, vegetable and fruit box delivery in Melbourne direct to your home – taking the hassle out of your everyday shopping.