If you’d like to create something exotic and healthy out of your fruit and veg shop, soups are a great place to start.
Our curried green vegetable soup recipe captures the flavours of Southeast Asia and offers a whole spectrum of nutrients in just one bowl.
A vitamin C hit
Get a vitamin C hit from all the vegetables, especially the broccoli, containing an impressive 89 milligrams (mg) of vitamin C per 100 g. Bearing in mind that the recommended daily intake of vitamin C is 45 mg a day for adults, you’ll get all you need from the broccoli alone!
Broccoli isn’t the only super ingredient in this delicious soup. Ginger is widely used in Asian cooking not just for its distinctive taste but also because of its health-giving properties.
It’s been used for generations in traditional medicine to treat nausea, indigestion and the symptoms of flu and colds.
Gingerol, a compound found in ginger, is responsible for many of its health benefits. It has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It is also believed to help protect the body against diseases like cancer, Alzheimer’s and heart disease.
It’s in the added extras
The finishing touches to this soup provide some extra nutrition boosts.
You’ll get a good serving of protein – essential for cell growth – with Greek yogurt.
The coriander is brimming with antioxidants to keep your immune system healthy.
And the compound capsaicin found in the chillies offers pain-relieving properties.
If you opt for the pumpkin seeds as a garnish, you’ll benefit from their antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
This aromatic soup is a delight to prepare. It is super quick and easy, too!
- 1 tablespoon Coconut oil
- 1 Onion (finely chopped)
- 2 sticks Celery (finely chopped)
- 2 heads Broccoli (roughly chopped)
- 75 grams korma curry paste
- 1 tablespoon Ginger (Fresh) (grated)
- 1 litre Vegetable stock
- 120 grams Peas (frozen)
- 120 grams Spinach (frozen)
- 1 cup Coriander (fresh)
- 140 grams Greek yogurt
- Birdseye chillies (sliced)
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, broccoli and celery and cook them, stirring continuously, until they soften (around 5 minutes).
- Add the ginger and curry paste. Cook while stirring for around 1 minute or until they become fragrant.
- Add the stock and stir well to combine all the ingredients. Cover and cook gently for 10 minutes or until the vegetables soften, adding the spinach and peas when there is 2 minutes left of cooking time.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Season and stir in half the yogurt and half the coriander.
- Next, blend the soup until smooth with a stick blender, or in batches in a jug blender. Decant the soup into serving bowls. Garnish with the remaining yogurt and coriander and the sliced red chillies to serve. Alternatively, sprinkle a few pumpkin seeds over the yogurt.
Create tasty soup with ingredients from your grocery delivery in Melbourne
Your online groceries shop offers endless possibilities for creating tasty and nutritious soup, just like our recipe.
Find everything you need at Local Food Market Co, your local online marketplace, offering fruit and veg delivery, and more!
We bring together your favourite local retailers under one roof – you can order all your groceries in a few simple clicks and have them delivered to your door.
Why not complement your healthy soup with a fruit platter? If you’ve been looking for a fruit shop near me, you’ll also find everything you need here for your fruit delivery in Melbourne.
Our fruit box delivery for Melbourne residents is a great place to start for fresh and seasonal fruits to serve after meals and as a healthy snack in between.
Contact us to know more about your local online marketplace.