We’ve all heard about superfoods, but what are they, and what kind of health benefits do they bring?
Superfoods are defined as foods that have an exceptionally rich nutrient content and offer a whole range of health benefits.
They include fruits such as acai berries, pomegranates and avocado (included in our recipe) and vegetables and roots like broccoli, kale (both of which are also included), red cabbage, garlic and turmeric.
Seeds, nuts, legumes and grains also offer lots of examples of superfoods and make a tasty accompaniment to many meals.
Included in this category are quinoa, rice, lentils and chickpeas used in this recipe, easily obtainable from your fruit and veg delivery and packed full of goodness.
Quinoa boasts all nine of the essential amino acids, which help your body build protein, as well as minerals, B vitamins and vitamin E. It also contains antioxidants that can protect against certain diseases and help to reduce inflammation in the body.
The black rice used here contains higher levels of protein compared to other varieties. It also has antioxidants and plenty of protein and fibre, which may help you lose weight by making you feel fuller for longer.
Puy lentils are renowned for their high fibre content, which will help keep your digestive system healthy and lower your cholesterol levels.
Just like the other grains mentioned, chickpeas are high in vitamins and minerals, while their protein and fibre content will keep you feeling satisfied and less likely to snack in between meals.
Along with the avocado, vegetables and seeds in this recipe, the grains will provide a concentrated burst of nutrition — just what you need to keep you going on busy days!
This colourful, nutrient-dense salad is a delight to prepare and eat! The harissa adds a fiery kick while the grains, seeds and veggies offer endless health benefits.
- 200 grams Quinoa
- 100 grams Black rice
- ½ 400 gram Tin of Puy lentils
- ½ 400 gram Tin of chickpeas
- ½ Fennel bulb
- 250 grams Beetroot
- 50 grams kale
- 15 grams Fresh flat leaf parsley
- 15 grams Fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon Sherry vinegar
- Olive oil (extra virgin)
- 3 Ripe avocados
- 100 grams Broccolini
- 2 teaspoons Harissa paste
- 50 grams Mixed seeds
- ½ Pomegranate
- Cook the rice and quinoa in separate pans of boiling salted water until tender and drain.
- Drain the chickpeas and lentils and combine with the rice and quinoa in a large bowl.
- Finely slice the fennel, cut the beetroots in quarters and finely chop the kale, then add them all to the bowl.
- Add the vinegar, 2 tablespoons of the oil and salt and pepper to taste, then divide between 4 bowls.
- Skin avocado, dice and put on top of each portion, followed by the broccolini.
- Spoon harissa over the top and add the seeds. Cut the pomegranate in half and scoop or tap out the seeds over the salad portions and serve.
Superfoods brought to your door with grocery delivery in Melbourne
Your supply of superfoods is just a click away when you do your fruit and veg shop with Local Food Market Co.
It’s your local marketplace where you can pick out everything you need for your online groceries shop from your favourite suppliers.
And if you’ve been looking for a fruit shop near me, you can get all the fresh fruit you need in your order. To make it super easy, we offer fruit box delivery in Melbourne so you can stock up on all those vitamins and minerals!
To know more about groceries, veggie and fruit delivery in Melbourne, contact us.