Slow cooking is making a comeback. It’s not hard to see why when you consider the many benefits of cooking at a relaxed pace.
It’s not actually a new phenomenon; the concept has been around for as long as humans have been cooking! But we’ve recently seen a revival as it allows busy people to create tasty, home-cooked food with the minimum of effort.
Let’s find out more about this popular way of cooking and why it’s so good for you.
What’s so special about slow cooking?
As well as being convenient, there is a whole raft of advantages to slow cooking:
- A slow cooker helps you eat affordably: you can get excellent results with cheaper cuts of meats as they tenderise when cooked at low heat for an extended period of time.
- When you cook food at low temperatures, you will retain more of its key nutrients, making this a healthy way to prepare meals. It also draws out the flavours of the ingredients.
- It’s the perfect way to make stock from scratch, or you can recycle the leftover juices from your slow-cooked meals. In fact, making your own stock, or bone broth as it’s also known, has many health benefits. Animal bones contain many valuable minerals such as phosphorus, magnesium, potassium and calcium, while bone marrow contains vitamins A and K2, minerals and fatty acids. You’ll also benefit from the collagen present in animal bones and other parts, which is a rich source of amino acids essential to the production of protein and many functions in the human body.
What kind of dishes can you make in a slow cooker?
You’re spoilt for choice when it comes to preparing dishes in the slow cooker. It’s perfect for preparing meat stews, and you can easily swap the meat for extra vegetables and pulses to make a vegetarian option.
You can also make delicious pies in your slow cooker, while preparing stock in a slow cooker is super easy.
This is the perfect dish to come home to after a busy day. The long cook time makes the meat super tender and draws out the complementary flavours.
- 1 kg Beef chuck steak (cut into 2.5 cm pieces, or alternative stewing meat)
- ¼ cup Flour
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 clove Garlic (minced)
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Onion
- 1 ½ cups Beef stock
- 3 Potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 4 Carrots (diced)
- 1 stalk Celery (chopped)
- Place meat in slow cooker. In a small bowl, mix together the flour, salt, and pepper; pour over meat, and stir to coat meat with flour mixture. Stir in the garlic, bay leaf, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, onion, beef broth, potatoes, carrots, and celery.
- Cover and cook on the low setting for 10 to 12 hours, or the high setting for 4 to 6 hours.
Get your stew ingredients in your fruit and veg delivery
It’s so easy to get the ingredients for our stew recipe delivered directly to your door. Make your grocery delivery in Melbourne simple with the Local Food Market Co.
As well as healthy vegetables, you will find everything else you need for your fruit and veg shop. If you’re wondering where to find a fruit shop near me, look no further!
Contact us to know more about fruit delivery in Melbourne and fruit box delivery in Melbourne direct to your home. It’s the hassle-free way to get all those healthy ingredients straight to your door.