The humble mushroom is a much underrated vegetable. While it’s often an added ingredient in recipes, it really deserves to take the starring role in a dish that harnesses its distinctive flavour.
It works wonderfully in casseroles, pasta dishes and salads but really comes into its own in our mushroom risotto recipe, drawing out this vegetable’s nutty flavour and making a light but satisfying evening meal.
Serve it on its own or add a variety of salad dishes to offset the recipe’s creaminess. Salads based on onions, tomatoes, asparagus and peas work well with the flavour of mushrooms.
Our risotto is a great way to make the most of mushrooms’ nutrients, such as antioxidants to help the body fight disease. They are also rich in B vitamins, which keep your heart, red blood cells and digestive system healthy, and minerals including potassium, which is great for muscle and nerve function.
What’s more, mushrooms are fat and cholesterol-free and low in calories. You really can’t go wrong with this versatile and health-giving vegetable!
Risottos make an easy one-pot family meal and this mushroom variety is a great way to eat vegetarian without compromising on flavour.
- Warm the vegetable stock and 1 cup of water in a pan over high heat until the mixture is almost at boiling point. Now remove from the heat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan over medium to high heat. Cook the onion for approximately 5 minutes or until transparent.
- Stir in the rice until well coated followed by the wine, and cook for 1 minute or until the wine has evaporated.
- Add 1 spoonful of the stock mixture and stir gently until the stock has been absorbed. Continue adding the stock 1 spoonful at a time until it is all absorbed. The rice should be just cooked by this stage.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook the garlic for around 3 minutes until it’s golden in colour. Transfer to a plate. Then cook the mushrooms in the butter for around 5 minutes or until tender. Transfer them to another plate.
- Now return one-quarter of the mushrooms to the pan. Add the parsley and garlic, season and mix gently to combine. Put aside to garnish your risotto.
- Stir the remaining mushrooms and Parmesan into the risotto. Cover and set aside for 2 minutes.
- Serve individual portions onto plates and top with the garlicky mushrooms. Season with pepper to taste and enjoy!
Grab mushrooms and more in your fruit and veg delivery
You can grab all the mushrooms you need for our risotto recipe in your fruit and veg shop from the Local Food Market Co, making grocery delivery in Melbourne super easy.
And if you’re wondering where to find a fruit shop near me, you’ll find you can also select all the fruit you need with your veggie order! You can even get fruit box delivery in Melbourne direct to your door.
Contact us to know more about vegetable and fruit delivery in Melbourne brought straight to your home.