For a simple dish that conjures up the flavours of the Mediterranean, try our Spanish chicken and rice.
If you’ve ever enjoyed a holiday there, you’ll know that the cuisine of Spain is based on fresh, simple ingredients.
Olive oil, garlic and tomatoes make up the base ingredients for this dish. And it just so happens that they’re incredibly good for you too!
In fact, they are essential components of the “Mediterranean diet”, which is associated with many health benefits such as protection from stroke, heart disease, and type 2 diabetes, and aiding weight loss.
Olive oil contains oleic acid, a monounsaturated fat. This is a “good fat” that can counteract inflammation in the body that can lead to disease. In some studies, it has even been linked to protecting against cancer.
Garlic is known to boost your immunity and help reduce the severity of colds and flu, as well as reduce blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
And tomatoes contain the antioxidant lycopene, which protects the body from free radicals that damage DNA and cause illness. They are also brimming with vitamins and minerals for an overall health boost.
The orange juice and zest add the finishing touch to this dish, giving it that typically Spanish taste.
You can also enjoy the protein content of the chicken, light and nutritious choice for a meat dish.
Tuck into the delicious fresh flavours of this Spanish dish with a subtle spicy undertone.
- 500 g Chicken thighs (quartered)
- 1 medium Onion (brown) (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves Garlics (crushed)
- 1 Capsicum (red) (cut into thin strips)
- 1 medium Carrot (quartered and chopped)
- 2 teaspoons Smoked paprikas
- 2 teaspoons Cumin (ground)s
- 220 g Brown rices
- 400 g Canned tomato (diced)s
- 1 Orange (juiced and zested)
- 120 g Peas (frozen)s
- . Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add half the quantity of chicken and cook for around 3 minutes, ensuring that all surfaces are golden brown. Put the cooked chicken on a plate then repeat the process with the rest of the chicken.
- Add the carrots and onions to the pan and cook until the onion softens a little, around 3 minutes.
- Add the cumin, paprika, capsicum and garlic, stirring continuously, until their fragrance is released. (This should take around 1 minute.)
- Add the tomato, rice, orange juice and 357ml of water, stirring gently. Bring the mixture to a boil then put the chicken back in the pan. Cover and transfer to the oven for 50 minutes or until the rice is edible.
- Stir in the peas then bake with the lid off for 5 minutes or until the peas are cooked through. Garnish with the orange zest.
Go Spanish with your grocery delivery in Melbourne
Find all the ingredients that make up Spanish cuisine in your fruit and veg shop. You’ll find everything you need on the Local Food Market Co site, where you can source everything for your grocery delivery in Melbourne.
Make veg and fruit delivery in Melbourne easy by browsing through our quality food retailers and making your choices for online groceries in a few simple clicks.
You’ll find vegetables, bread, meat and pantry essentials on our online platform and can even order your fruit box delivery in Melbourne to complete that Mediterranean vibe. If you’ve ever wondered “is there a fruit shop near me,” you’ll find it right at your door with fruit and veg delivery by Local Food Market Co.
To know more about our innovative platform that’s local to you, reach out to our team.