A true Australian delicacy, Sydney Rock oysters can be found in the waters stretching from southern Queensland down to Victoria. Renowned for their rich flavour, these oysters work well with the aromatic nutmeg and saffron in this recipe.
- Put the fish stock and any liquid from the oysters in a heavy-based saucepan and heat.
- Add the chopped onion, thyme leaves, salt, nutmeg, saffron and chilli. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the cream and bring back to simmering point. Next, add the oysters and simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Put the lid on the pan and turn off heat.
- Serve in small bowls as an appetiser.