Sweet potatoes form the basis of this delicious chilli-style stew. Their high levels of fibre will help keep your gut healthy, and they’re packed with the antioxidant beta carotene. This vital compound supports your vision and immune system. The slightly sweet flavour should appeal to all the family, so it’s bound to become a firm favourite in no time!
- 3 cups vegetable stocks
- ½ cup onion (chopped)
- 2 cups celeries
- 3 cloves Garlics (minced)
- ½ Jalapeno Pepper (finely chopped)
- 2 Sweet Potatoes (diced)
- 2 tablespoons chilli powders
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1 ½ teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 400g Can of diced tomatoes
- 2 cups kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- Heat 5 tablespoons of the vegetable stock in a pan over medium heat. Cook and stir the garlic, onion and jalapeno pepper into the stock pan until slightly tender. Add the diced sweet potatoes, cumin, chilli powder, paprika, oregano, and chilli flakes to the onion mixture. Pour in the remaining vegetable stock.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium, simmering until the sweet potatoes are tender (around 25 minutes). Add the tomatoes and kidney beans to the mixture and simmer over low heat to allow the flavours to infuse (around 45 minutes).