This casserole will appeal to all the family with the sweet-tasting potatoes, complemented by the distinctive flavours of garlic and celery.
- 2 Onions (cut into chunks)
- 3 Carrot (cut into large pieces)
- 3 Celery stalks (cut into chunks)
- 400 grams Sweet Potato (cut into chunks)
- 1 litre Vegetable stock (Hot stock, either from a cube or homemade)
- 2 Garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 3 Leeks (thickly sliced)
- 130 grams Pearl barley
- 2 teaspoon Dried sage
- Salt and pepper (to season according to taste)
- Chopped fresh parsley (to garnish)
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Place the carrots, onions, celery, and sweet potatoes in a large casserole dish. Pour the vegetable stock over and bring to the boil.
- Add the leeks, garlic, pearl barley, sage, and salt and pepper. Stir the mixture carefully. Cover and then put in the oven. Cook for 1 hour or until the barley is tender and the vegetables soft.
- Garnish with parsley and serve with crusty bread and butter.
Leave a Reply