- 1 small green savoy cabbage (about 450 g) (trimmed and finely shredded)
- 1.2 kilogram potatoes (peeled and cut into 4 cm chunks)
- 75 gram butters
- 6 rindless smoked streaky bacon rashers (cut into 3 cm pieces)
- 6 Spring Onions (trimmed and finely sliced)
- 125 milliliter Double Creams
- 4 Eggs ((Large))
- Salt and pepper
- Boil the potatoes in a large saucepan until soft enough to mash.
- Boil the cabbage for about 3 minutes until just tender. Melt 25 g of the butter and fry the bacon until lightly coloured
- Add the spring onions and cabbage and heat through.
- Drain and mash the potatoes with the remaining butter, cream and lots of seasoning.
- Stir in the cabbage, bacon and onions.
- Crack the eggs carefully into a simmering pan of water and poach for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the water with a slotted spoon and serve atop the colcannon.