Get a protein boost from the lentils in this soup and enjoy the flavour and goodness of the vegetable ingredients.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oli
- 4 Carrots (cut into chunks)
- 3 stalks celeries (cut into chunks)
- 1 onion (roughly chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Minced garlic
- 1 cup Lentils (dry)
- 4 cups waters
- 2 400g Can of diced tomatoes
- 3 Chicken stock cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup Pasta
- 1 medium zucchini (roughly chopped)
- 1 medium yellow squash (roughly chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Basil (dried)
- ½ teaspoon Oregano (dried)
- black pepper (to taste)
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Fry the carrots, celery, onion and garlic for around 5 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Rinse the lentils. Put the water, tomatoes, chicken stock cubes and bay leaf in a large pan on medium heat. Add the vegetable mixture and lentils, and simmer for around 7 minutes. Add the pasta and cook for 3 minutes. Add the zucchini and squash and cook until just tender (around 5 minutes). Add the oregano, basil and pepper.
- Remove the soup from the heat and rest for 30 minutes with the cover on before serving.