Eating the same dinners week after week can get boring, and we could all do with a little inspiration for some fresh ideas for family meals. Even better if they make the most of your fruit and veg shop, incorporating lots of fresh, healthy fruit and veggies.
If you don’t already eat vegetarian meals, why not start now? Eating vegetarian even for just a couple of days a week can deliver some excellent health benefits, including reducing your risk of chronic diseases such as obesity, heart disease, some types of cancer, diabetes, and high blood pressure. Vegetables also contain high levels of the vitamins you need to keep healthy.
Mix up your weekly meal plan with our two recipes for vegetarian dinners that all the family will enjoy. Sweet potato casserole combines some of the family’s favourite vegetables, while zucchini and chickpea curry provide a spicy kick.
This casserole will appeal to all the family with the sweet-tasting potatoes, complemented by the distinctive flavours of garlic and celery.
- 2 Onions (cut into chunks)
- 3 Carrot (cut into large pieces)
- 3 Celery stalks (cut into chunks)
- 400 grams Sweet Potato (cut into chunks)
- 1 litre Vegetable stock (Hot stock, either from a cube or homemade)
- 2 Garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 3 Leeks (thickly sliced)
- 130 grams Pearl barley
- 2 teaspoon Dried sage
- Salt and pepper (to season according to taste)
- Chopped fresh parsley (to garnish)
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Place the carrots, onions, celery, and sweet potatoes in a large casserole dish. Pour the vegetable stock over and bring to the boil.
- Add the leeks, garlic, pearl barley, sage, and salt and pepper. Stir the mixture carefully. Cover and then put in the oven. Cook for 1 hour or until the barley is tender and the vegetables soft.
- Garnish with parsley and serve with crusty bread and butter.
Prepare this delicious curry in your pressure cooker for a quick and healthy meal that’s bursting with flavour.
- Place the zucchini, chickpeas, water, and turmeric in your pressure cooker. Seal the cooker, then cook on high pressure for around 20 minutes. Reduce the heat and simmer for a further 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let the pressure release.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan. Fry the cumin seeds and chilli flakes until the seeds start to spit, then add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 more minute. Add the zucchini and chickpeas along with the sugar and salt to the saucepan. Bring the contents to a boil, reduce the heat, and cook for 5 more minutes before serving with a crispy green salad.
Healthy veggie grocery delivery in Melbourne
The Local Food Market Co brings fruit and veg delivery to your door, making it easy to treat your family to some new and delicious vegetarian recipes.
Just browse our extensive range of fresh produce, click on what you want, and let us do the rest.
And we don’t just stock healthy seasonal vegetables. If you’re wondering, “Is there a fruit shop near me?” check out our fruit delivery in Melbourne. We offer fruit box delivery for Melbourne residents alongside our extensive range of vegetables.
Want to know more about ordering all the