If you’re searching for some new and healthy meal ideas for the family, why not consider a vegetarian stew? It’s an easy way to get lots of vitamins and other nutrients into your family’s diet, and you can add lentils and beans to add bulk and provide protein.
As well as being healthy, vegetarian stews are versatile as you can easily adapt the flavour according to your family’s taste.
Sprinkle in some chilli flakes for impact or add a milder spice like paprika. You can also use fresh garlic and ginger for extra zing and nutritional value, which will be especially welcome as we head into winter.
If your family’s tastes are more conservative, try a tomato-based vegetarian stew. Tomatoes are a fantastic source of vitamins C and K, as well as potassium and folate. They also contain lycopene, an antioxidant that has been linked to lowering the risk of cancer and heart disease.
The high levels of fibre in any vegetarian stew will do a great job of keeping your digestive system in shape too!
Our recipe for Sweet Potato Chilli is brimming with goodness and has an appealing, subtly spicy flavour that will please all the family.
Sweet potatoes form the basis of this delicious chilli-style stew. Their high levels of fibre will help keep your gut healthy, and they’re packed with the antioxidant beta carotene. This vital compound supports your vision and immune system. The slightly sweet flavour should appeal to all the family, so it’s bound to become a firm favourite in no time!
- 3 cups Vegetable stock
- ½ cup Onion (chopped)
- 2 cups Celery
- 3 cloves Garlic (minced)
- ½ Jalapeno Pepper (finely chopped)
- 2 Sweet Potatoes (diced)
- 2 tablespoons Chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon Cumin (ground)
- ½ teaspoon Smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon Oregano (dried)
- ½ teaspoon Dried chilli flakes
- 1 ½ teaspoons Tomato paste
- 1 400g Canned tomato (diced)
- 2 cups Kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- Heat 5 tablespoons of the vegetable stock in a pan over medium heat. Cook and stir the garlic, onion and jalapeno pepper into the stock pan until slightly tender. Add the diced sweet potatoes, cumin, chilli powder, paprika, oregano, and chilli flakes to the onion mixture. Pour in the remaining vegetable stock.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium, simmering until the sweet potatoes are tender (around 25 minutes). Add the tomatoes and kidney beans to the mixture and simmer over low heat to allow the flavours to infuse (around 45 minutes).
Get your vegetarian stew ingredients from your fruit and veg delivery
You can have the ingredients for our vegetarian stew recipe delivered direct to your door with Local Food Market Co. It makes grocery delivery in Melbourne quick, easy and hassle-free!
As well as healthy vegetables, you will find everything else you need for your fruit and veg shop. If you’re wondering where to find a fruit shop near me, look no further!
Contact us to know more about fruit delivery in Melbourne and fruit box delivery in Melbourne direct to your home. It’s the hassle-free way to get all those healthy ingredients straight to your door.