As autumn slides into winter, your thoughts may be turning to feeding the family with hearty and nutritious soup. After all, what could be more comforting than a steaming bowl of homemade goodness?
The beauty of soups is two-fold. First of all, they are so easy to prepare and don’t require any special skills or equipment. Secondly, you can stash lots of veggies in them to get your fill of vitamins, providing a healthy and delicious meal.
Let’s take a look at two recipes for family soups that will leave you feeling satisfied and invigorated for the season ahead.
This hearty recipe is more than a soup. It’s a meal in itself. Enjoy with nachos and sour cream on the side.
- 1 cup Onion (diced)
- 1 cup Capsicums (diced)
- 4 Birdseye chillies (finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 2 cups Chicken stock
- 1 400g Can Canned tomato (diced)
- 1 400g Can Condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 teaspoon Taco seasoning
- ½ teaspoon Cumin (ground)
- ¼ teaspoon Black pepper (grounded)
- 500 grams Chicken breast
- 1 cup Coriander (fresh)
- Olive oil (for cooking)
- Put a little of the olive oil into the bowl of a slow cooker. Add the onions, capsicums and 1 teaspoon of salt. Stir in the chicken stock, tomatoes, soup and chillies.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, the taco seasoning, 1 teaspoon of salt, cumin and black pepper in a bowl. Add the chicken and coat on all sides with the mixture. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Cook on the low setting until the chicken is cooked (up to 3 hours). Remove from the slow cooker and shred.
- Return the chicken to the slow cooker and warm it through for around 20 minutes.
- Serve garnished with coriander
Get a protein boost from the lentils in this soup and enjoy the flavour and goodness of the vegetable ingredients.
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 4 Carrot (cut into chunks)
- 3 stalks Celery (cut into chunks)
- 1 Onion (roughly chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Garlic (minced)
- 1 cup Lentils (dry)
- 4 cups Water
- 2 400g Canned tomato (diced)
- 3 Chicken stock cubes
- 1 Bay leaf
- ½ cup Pasta
- 1 medium Zucchini (roughly chopped)
- 1 medium Squash (roughly chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Basil (dried)
- ½ teaspoon Oregano (dried)
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Fry the carrots, celery, onion and garlic for around 5 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Rinse the lentils. Put the water, tomatoes, chicken stock cubes and bay leaf in a large pan on medium heat. Add the vegetable mixture and lentils, and simmer for around 7 minutes. Add the pasta and cook for 3 minutes. Add the zucchini and squash and cook until just tender (around 5 minutes). Add the oregano, basil and pepper.
- Remove the soup from the heat and rest for 30 minutes with the cover on before serving.
Find soup ingredients in your fruit and veg delivery
Did you know that you can have the vegetables you need for our delicious soup recipes delivered directly to your door? Ordering your grocery delivery in Melbourne with the Local Food Market Co is simple and hassle-free.
As well as healthy vegetables, you will find everything else you need for your fruit and veg shop. If you’re wondering where to find a fruit shop near me, look no further!
Contact us to know more about fruit delivery in Melbourne and fruit box delivery in Melbourne direct to your home. It’s the simple way to get all those healthy ingredients straight to your door.