Everyone’s heard of sushi, but what is it? Is it good for you? How do you serve it? And is sushi something you can get in your usual home delivery of seafood?
We’ll give you everything you need to know about sushi in this article, and, by the end, you’ll be confident enough to make our simple sushi dish with smoked salmon.
What is sushi?
Sushi refers to a seaweed roll that contains rice, vegetables and raw or cooked fish. It comes from Japan, where it has been enjoyed for centuries. It’s now considered a delicacy all around the world.
What are sushi’s health benefits?
The vegetables and fish in sushi offer many health benefits. For example, the smoked salmon used in our recipe is a good source of protein and fatty acids and is rich in many vitamins, notably vitamins B12 and D.
How do I serve sushi?
There are many sushi recipe ideas out there, and you can vary the ingredients depending on whether you prefer raw or cooked fish. You can also use a wide variety of vegetables.
Sushi is great to serve as a party dish or part of a main meal with plenty of different salads and vegetables to add to the healthy vibe.
You’ll find it easy to source the fish you need for our recipe in your usual seafood delivery in Melbourne.
This impressive-looking sushi dish is surprisingly easy to make. Note that you’ll need a bamboo mat to help you roll the sushi. Top tip: place a layer of plastic on the top surface of the mat to keep it clean.
- 2 cups Japanese sushi rice
- 6 tablespoons Rice wine vinegar
- 6 sheets Nori ((also known as dried seaweed))
- 1 Avocado (peeled and sliced, with the seed removed)
- 1 Cucumber (peeled and sliced)
- 200 g Smoked salmon (cut into long strips)
- 2 tablespoons Wasabi paste
- Soak the rice in water for 4 hours. Drain and cook in a rice cooker with 2 cups of water.
- Once the rice is cooked, add 6 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar. Then, spread the rice on a plate until it has completely cooled down
- Place 1 sheet of dried seaweed on your bamboo mat and add a thin layer of rice on top, pressing it down slightly. Leave an uncovered margin of around 2 centimetres at the top and bottom edges of the seaweed. Add a little wasabi to the rice. Then add the cucumber, smoked salmon and avocado.
- Lightly wet the top margin of the seaweed. Pick up the edge of the bamboo mat and use it to roll up the layers. (There are plenty of instructional videos on YouTube if you need them.) Once you have your roll, cut it into 8 equal portions and serve.
Buy seafood online in Melbourne
You can get the smoked salmon you need for this sushi recipe in an easy fresh seafood delivery in Melbourne from Planet Seafood.
We take pride in delivering fresh, quality seafood straight to your door.
Any questions? Find out more about seafood delivery in the Melbourne area by reaching out to us.
Leave a Reply