Our pork katsu and Japanese slaw recipe is one you’ll want to prepare again and again. It’s simple and nutritious, and all the ingredients can be easily sourced in your fruit and veg shop.
Pork makes a great choice for a family dinner. Trim the fat away and you have a healthy source of protein, essential for cell growth and a must for growing kids.
You’ll also find a treasure trove of vitamins and minerals. There’s vitamin B1, also known as thiamine, that helps your body convert energy from nutrients, B3 to keep your metabolism running smoothly, B6 for red blood cell formation and B12, which can enhance brain health.
The minerals found in pork – iron, phosphorus, selenium and zinc – all have a role in keeping your body functioning at its best.
The healthy slaw of red cabbage, carrot and spring onions is the perfect crunchy accompaniment. Eating the veggies raw means that you’ll get the maximum benefit from their vitamins and minerals, which can break down on cooking.
They also provide plenty of fibre to keep your digestive system in good shape.
And the vivid colours make this dish even more appealing, especially if you have young and fussy eaters who need an incentive to tuck in!
So next time you order your online groceries, be sure to include everything you need for this enticing yet healthy dish.
This dish will delight your tastebuds, thanks to the combo of crispy panko crumbs, tender pork and crunchy slaw.
- Place the pork steaks in plastic wrap and beat gently with a rolling pin to about 7 mm in thickness.
- Put the flour, egg and panko crumbs in three separate bowls. Dip each steak in the flour and shake off the excess. Then place in the egg and finally coat with the crumbs, pressing them down until they stick. Put on a plate and refrigerate for around 10 minutes.
- While you’re waiting, whisk the lemon juice, mayonnaise and sesame oil in a jug. Then mix the carrot, red cabbage and spring onion in a separate bowl.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add two of the steaks and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until they are golden brown. Place on a plate lined with kitchen towel and cover with foil to retain heat. Repeat the process with the remaining two steaks.
- Serve the steaks on a plate with the slaw and mayonnaise mixture.
Top tip: You can add salad leaves and diced avocado to your slaw for extra vitamins and minerals.
Meat, vegetables, fruit and more from your local online marketplace
Local Food Market Co is your one-stop shop for healthy, tasty ingredients. It’s an online platform that brings together your favourite food shops in one place, making grocery delivery in Melbourne super easy.
As well as finding the meat and vegetables for our recipe, you’ll also find everything you need for your fruit and veg delivery. In fact, it’s the perfect place if you’ve been wondering about a ‘fruit shop near me!’
Why not serve a simple fruit salad after this tasty pork and slaw dish and take advantage of fruit box delivery in Melbourne? It makes fruit delivery in Melbourne simple and hassle-free – just a few clicks and you have everything to make a healthy meal.
Reach out to us for any queries about your fresh and local online marketplace.