- 4 Ripe tomatoes (Quartered)
- 5 cups (2 pints) Chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 2 Onions (Finely chopped)
- 3 Stalks celery (Chopped)
- 4 Rashers bacon (Chopped)
- 300 gms (10 oz) Shelled broad (fava) beans
- 150 gms (5 oz) Small soup pasta
- Cracked black pepper and sea salt
- 1/3 cup Shredded basil
- 8 Slices crusty bread
- Olive oil (Extra)
- 1/3 cup Finely grated parmesan cheese
- Place the tomatoes and 2 cups (16 fl oz) of the stock in a blender and purée until smooth. Pour the mixture through a sieve and set aside.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium to high heat. Add the oil, onions, celery and bacon and cook for 8 minutes or until the onions are soft. Add the tomato mixture, remaining stock and broad beans to the pan and simmer for 12 minutes. Add the pasta, pepper and salt and cook for a further 10 minutes or until the pasta is soft.
- Stir through the basil.
- To serve, drizzle the bread with a little oil. Sprinkle lightly with parmesan and grill (broil) until golden. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with the parmesan toasts.
- You can use frozen broad beans but you will need to peel them.
Leave a Reply