We all need more avocado in our lives! Why not include this nutritious and versatile item on your weekly shopping list and use it in some simple recipes that can give you a health boost while tasting delicious?
You may be wondering what’s so special about avocado? One of the most amazing facts about avocado is that it is packed full of 20 different minerals and vitamins. These include vitamin K, which helps your blood to clot and aids bone health, vitamin E, an antioxidant that keeps your skin, vision and reproductive system healthy, and folate, an essential nutrient for pregnant women as it helps cells divide and grow properly, supporting the foetus’ development.
We’ve picked out three of the quickest and easiest recipes that you’ll enjoy so much, you’ll want to include avocado in your fruit and veg delivery every time!
Try this super easy recipe for a snack any time of the day.
- 1 Bread slice (Sourdough works best)
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Lime ((Juice of one lime))
- 1 Coriander leaves
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Toast your bread. Wholegrain or Sourdough bread works really well with avocado.
- Take a ripe avocado, peel, separate the stone and mash by hand with a fork.
- Add fresh coriander, lime juice and salt and pepper to taste and spread onto toast. You’re good to go!
Top tip: You can vary your avocado toast by topping it with fried, scrambled, poached or hard-boiled egg.
Enjoy this creamy dish with tortilla chips for a classic Mexican vibe.
- 3 Avocado (Ripe)
- 1 Lime (Juice of one lime)
- 1 Clove of garlic
- Salt (to taste)
- Take three ripe avocados, peel, separate the stone and put the flesh in a bowl.
- Add the juice of one lime, one clove of grated garlic and a large pinch of salt.
- Serve immediately
Top tip: For some extra zing, you can add chopped tomato, coriander, onion or chillies.
Enjoy the bright colours and sweet and savoury flavours of this healthy salad.
- 2 small Oranges (or one large grapefruit, according to your preference)
- 1 Avocado (Ripe)
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1 teaspeoon Rose water
- 2 tablespoons crushed pistachios
- 2 tablespoons Tarragon (fresh)
- Extra virgin olive oil (for drizzling)
- Salt (to taste)
- Peel and remove the pith from your chosen citrus fruit and peel and destone your avocado and slice into portions.
- Place in a bowl and add the lemon juice, rose water and salt. Mix gently together then set aside for five minutes.
- Transfer the fruit to your serving plates and add the avocado slices, alternating citrus fruit and avocado.
- Spoon the leftover citrus juice onto your salad, scatter with pistachios and tarragon leaves and finally drizzle with olive oil.
Top tip: This makes a delicious appetiser before a main course of fish.
Can I buy fresh avocados from a fruit shop near me?
Buying fresh produce regularly is a great way to cook tasty, healthy meals, but what if you don’t have time to run to your nearby fruit and veg shop? With grocery delivery, the produce comes to you! If you’re looking for a fruit box delivery in the Melbourne area, look no further than Local Food Market Co. Offering a selection of fresh produce, including avocados, our grocery delivery platform in Melbourne has everything you need to recreate the recipes offered here.
Bringing together your favourite local suppliers, choosing your fruit delivery in Melbourne with us means you are supporting your local businesses while fresh fruit and vegetables are delivered straight to your door.
Contact our friendly team to know more about getting avocados and more delivered directly to your home.